Monday, January 19, 2009

collecting memories --Talat Samchuk

You may wonder, what is so special about this place to merit a blog? In fact it is not even mentioned in the 1995 edition of Insight Guides I have on Thailand.

It is special for the reason that I joined Rikhi (Please read 'A story about dedication'.) to participate in the annual health checkup project organised by Lions club of Erawan. This year it was held in Kanchanaburi province on the 18th of Jan. We left for the camp a day earlier and en route to the site and we were taken to a few sightseeing spots, a normal practice of the Lions club, before we checked into a hotel.

We were a convoy of 5 Luxury buses and we stopped after about an hour's drive. As I got off from the bus, I was a little perplexed as I just saw some old buildings across a bridge.

(I did not notice the golden swans at first!)

Seema's brother Jimmy, who also participates regularly in the camp was with me. He knew about the place and gave me the story. It seems that the market was in the verge of being closed as it could not face the competition from the modern hypermarkets, but was saved. The residents formed a co-operative and offered to make it work as a market and a tourist attraction. I quote from an article, “Hundred-year-old Market” revived by villagers: With the villagers’ commendable efforts, a ‘living market and lively museum’ would not be an exaggerated description of Samchuk Market.

Anyway, I have been planning to blog and take pictures of a typical Thai market. Hence this trip was opportune. The story also tells us about the way Thais organise themselves to face problems. You can also see that they are proud of their heritage and are making sincere efforts to retain it and showcase it to others. It was indeed a pleasure to walk around the museum market and was ultimately worth a visit.

Talat in samchuk:
It is a 100 years old market and looks it. It is kept so intentionally.

Obviously the market has many interesting products to offer.

A few of the Lions club office bearers and organisers of the medical camp at the market.

But as Rikhi and I ambled along, we discovered that we were mostly walking in the lanes which specialize in Food.

It seems that the boy was selected for this stall as his face is as smooth as the egg he is selling!

I don't eat meat, but would feel pretty safe with this stall.

The bear is not a toy, it is edible!


I love the presentation skills of Thais
I was drooling when I saw all those colorful Khanoms. But resisted the temptation.



I am sure popcorn would have been delicious, but we passed!
A colorful shopkeeper or a visitor!
Thais as you can see have no hang ups!
In all an interesting visit!

4 comments:

  1. Srinidhi, This must rate as one of the rarest and most interesting BLogs.Very very interesting indeed.Tempted to visit the same one of these days.
    Easwaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Easwaran
    I was thrilled to receive this 'instant' reaction to my blog. I think I will join you and take some more pictures of the other areas I missed!

    You made MY day! Thanks again
    Nidhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nidhi,
    Hope you and Tara are doing fine and keeping well.

    I suddenly had an urge to write to you to thank you for all the wonderful things you post in your blog..it seemed a bit unfair to be able to enjoy each of your interesting posts, great photos and experiences and not take the time off to say ‘thanks’.

    So ‘Thank you’ it is from all of us who are a bit ‘geesu shy’..you’d know if you’ve heard of kids (like my old man) who had been taught, as children in their remote villages, to try and excel in ‘eesu’, ‘beesu’ and ‘geesu’. (think it stands for swimming, being proficient in using the stick and to write). Not too sure of its importance today..it could do with an adaptation though ;-)

    Cheers, god bless and keep ‘em coming.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nidhi,
    After going through your blog on Talat Samchuk we are sure to visit it on our next trip to Thailand.
    Interesting & inspiring to see villagers have got together to save this old market place.
    Sadhana & Aditi are fine & we are enjoying my Moms company here these days.

    Cheers

    Ramesh

    ReplyDelete