Saturday, January 10, 2009

collecting memories --new year's eve 2009

Arun(Sethi) put it nicely when he sent his greetings for the new year ' … and so after this great Farewell Winter that Bangkok has laid out specially for both of you… and knowing that you are carrying back many happy memories of this smiling city .....'.



Very true, we have begun to subconsciously list our wonderful memories now that we are moving back to India in about six months time! Our evening with Viji and Khalid, who hosted a party concluding the year 2008, is high up there in our thoughts. As we are generally not in Bangkok during the New Year eve period, makes it even more unforgettable. Khalid, ever observant, remarked 'Even Nidhi was having a good time!'



I am glad that it showed! We had at first declined the invitation with regret. Later Tara discovered that we could make it and re-invited ourselves. When I attend a dinner at Viji & Khalid's I love the fact that I know most of the invitees and this time it was perfect as I knew all of them.





It really was a family gathering. Equally wonderful was that many of them were there with their children. While I met some of them for the first time, I knew about them and it was a nice feeling to meet them in person. Attending now as young adults, it was heartwarming to see them relaxed and having fun. An evening when parents could justifiably feel proud of their children.








Added to it was that it was the first sit down dinner party for me this year! No juggling of wine glasses and plates while standing! Vivaldi, the Italian restaurant is very popular with Bangkokians and Khalid tells me that even his guests from New York were duly impressed with the place.

I was a little concerned about the etiquette part of the dinner and sure enough I used the side plate which was meant for the person on my right. Luckily it was Surya seated on my right and he was gracious enough to overlook this crossing of borders and used the side plate on his right. It would have caused a chain reaction but luckily the place next to him was not occupied ( Augie?) and nobody knew about my faux pas.

I was not so lucky with the waiter. He asked me whether I wanted some white wine. I said no and asked for red. He then bent down to pick up my wine glass I had carried to the table. I grabbed my glass as soon as I saw him reaching for it. He looked very surprised but gave up and walked away. I am paranoid about Thai waiters who whisk away glasses from under your nose when the glass has still some liquor in it. It is very upsetting and I have now learnt to be quick enough to block them from heisting my drink.

Anyway, there was no sign of my red wine and I was getting a little impatient. I tried to catch the waiters eye but he just did not look at me. Finally, I succeeded catching his eye and asked for my wine again and he politely pointed to a glass of wine to me on the right. That was the problem! I had assumed the wine glass on the right into which he had poured wine belonged to Surya as I still use my left hand to drink while eating!

Apart from this small communication gap about our different practices while eating, the evening was just great. No one spoke about the meltdown, business within my earshot. There were jokes and limericks of various shades and color.

We were served many courses with a lot of flourish and the presentation was as tantalising as the taste of the cuisine itself. The portions were small; I recall that the entree was a small tomato covered with a small decorated white cap (goat cheese) on a large white plate. A delicious sauce was spread in a Rangoli or Mandala design around the tomato. It was a pity I could not take a picture before I scraped it off the plate. Not sure if it was the done thing.

Khalid who had noticed my confusion, as for a moment I had thought that the chef had forgotten to place the main dish on my plate, said 'don't worry they are all small helpings but you will feel full by the time we are done!'

He was right as I felt really full by the end of the many courses, served in different and very artistic plates and the dessert. In fact, I had no stomach for breakfast the next day and was happy with a light lunch. It was a nice gesture to request the chef to appear so that we could deservedly applaud him and thank him for a very delightful gourmet experience.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say - what a lovely way of starting an exciting new phase OR "nidhi, do you want to make me cry"!
    We are truly blessed, aren't we, to know that we have such a wonderfully genuine group of people that we can call our family.
    I know exactly the kind of anxiety that the waiters cause when they take away an unfinished glass or plate - all my years of being told not to waste surfaces right there - plus the knowledge that the last little bite on the plate, sip in the glass, is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tara and Nidhi,

    I wasn't aware that you were thinking of going back to India in six months! We are experiencing a major pang. Can't imagine Bangkok without you! It is a great idea to start a treasure trove of memories and the Vivaldi dinner was memorable.

    Lots of love, Maya

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't remind abt the count down!!!!!!noted abt the new blog ll b in touch. its nt a good feeling abt ur leaving!!!!!world is small we ll b meeting 4 sure!!!!!

    Davinder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Davinder
    Thanks you for your nice sentiments! We do hope to keep in touch and meet here or in Bangalore for sure.
    Tara and Nidhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Maya

    Lovely to hear from you as always.
    We are to still deal with the reality of moving from Bangkok. I am sure the 'treasure trove' will help!
    Lots of love
    Tara and Nidhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tara and Nidhi,

    Its been very recently that we met but the memories of meeting you and the interesting discussion we had are so fresh that my mind is actually not prepared to accept that you are moving back. I hope all is happening for good for you. I would definitely miss both of you. but please do keep in touch and the world is small too. You never know when and where we meet again. I am reminded of a song from my school. Would liek to write it down for you

    "May the good lord bless and take care of you, till we meet again."

    Let us meet up at my place before you leave.

    Best regards,

    Ashima

    ReplyDelete